Friday, March 13, 2009

Canadian Hip-Hop History: Part 1

When I was young, like really young, I really loved "rap" music. Long before I got deep into punk then back into hip-hop then back into punk then deep into metal, I remember owning quite a few "rap" tapes. I say "rap" because when I was a kid, thats what I called it. A few days ago I was listening to some old stuff I listened to as a kid and I realized that a lot of my first era of "rap" was mainly Canadian. So here's my attempt to summarize hip-hop in Canada, according to me at least.

The first song that comes to mind that I can vividly remember listening to and trying to remember all the words to was Maestro Fresh Wes' "Let Your Backbone Slide". It came out in '89 and is still the best selling Canadian hip-hop single of all time.

Thanks to hiphopcanada's youtube channel for the video.

No comments: